Easy Log Cabin Quilts
Arranging log cabin blocks into quilt tops
part 4 of article
part 1 - part 2 - part 3 - part 5
This part four of log cabin article:
Various quilt top layouts for log cabin blocks
Here are some sample coloring for log cabin blocks and below them are lots of ways to arrange these blocks in quilt tops.
1. (above) 7 x 7 blocks - 84" x 84" plus borders arranged to group colors, plus a narrow sashing has been added between blocks. Blue where the blue areas meet and yellow for the rest.
2. (above) 7 x 7 blocks - 84" x 84" plus borders same blocks as in #1, but arranged in furrows and no sashing added.
3. 8 x 8 blocks (above) - 96" x 96" look how the quilt in #2 looks with just a change to red center squares.
4. 8 x 8 blocks (above) - 96" x 96" another arrangement (called 'barn raising') of the same blocks as in #3.
5. 8 x 8 blocks (above) - 96" x 96" same arrangement as #4 but with blue centers.
6. 8 x 8 blocks (above) - 96" x 96" same arrangement as #5 but changing the color family to blue and white.
7. 8 x 8 blocks (above) - 96" x 96" same blocks as #6 but changing block arrangement gives a shaded dimensional look.
8. 8 x 8 blocks (above) - 96" x 96" same arrangement as #7 but changing the centers to blue from yellow and removing yellow from the border gives a very different "snowy windows" look.
9. 4 x 4 blocks (above) - 48" x 48" with an arrangement similar to quilt #1 but in a different colorway and bolder due to fewer blocks. This would make a nice wall hanging quilt.
10. 4 x 4 blocks (above) - 48" x 48" with the same arrangement as quilt #9 but with a narrow sashing added between the blocks to form a secondary grid of pale green and dark blue lines.
I hope this gives you some ideas of how you want to arrange your blocks. But you don't need to decide first - make the blocks and move them around to decide.
The Other Parts to this Log Cabin Article:
Page one - the introduction
Page two - how much fabric and cutting the strips
Page three - sewing the blocks in two styles
This is Page four - log cabin style blocks: sample quilt layouts
Page five: courthouse steps style blocks: sample quilt layouts
All graphics of blocks and quilts were prepared with Electric Quilt Program by the author.
© 2003 copyright Susan C. Druding